Quinoa, mushrooms and chickpeas make a tasty, totally satisfying veggie burger. Plus, you can make this burger vegan-friendly by skipping the mayo and substituting the bun for lettuce!
– 1/3 cup quinoa
– 1/4 cup olive oil , divided
– 2 cups chopped onion
– 1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
– 1 tbsp chopped garlic
– 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 3 cups canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained
– 1/2 cup toasted walnuts , pieces
– 1/4 cup ground flax seed , (also called flax meal)
– 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
– 2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp black pepper
– Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and cook for 8 to 10 min or until just tender. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve. Place sieve over empty pot on turned-off (but still warm) burner. Cover with a kitchen towel and let steam 5 min more or until quinoa is dry and fluffy.
– Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onions and sauté for 5 min or until lightly browned. Turn heat to high, add mushrooms and sauté for 4 min or until browned. Add garlic, chili powder and oregano; sauté 1 min longer. Remove from heat.
– Pulse chickpeas and walnuts in the food processor until coarsely ground. Add onion mixture, quinoa, flax, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Divide mixture into 8 portions and press into patties about ¾-in. thick.
– Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium. Working in batches and adding remaining oil as needed, fry burgers for 2 min a side or until browned and heated through. Serve with or without a bun.
SUBSCRIBE to the Today’s Parent channel: http://bit.ly/1sv2xFr
Find all the latest videos at http://www.todaysparent.com/videos/
Like us at https://www.facebook.com/TodaysParent/
Tweet us at https://twitter.com/todaysparent
Share the love at https://www.instagram.com/todaysparent/
And don’t forget to pin it at https://www.pinterest.com/todaysparent/